You all know by now that I am obsesseddddd with personal branding. I love it so much. If personal branding was an actual person, he’d would’ve been cuffed last October, okaaaay. But in all seriousness your personal brand can work wonders for you, girl. Did you know that less than 15% of people have truly defined their personal brand? So what does that mean? It means that there is a big ol chunk of the population missing out on the competitive advantage of having and managing a personal brand. Let’s be honest, of that 15%, how many do you think are college students? Let alone women.
I see it like this: Your personal brand is like a fine chivalrous man, who is constantly opening doors for you. That’s what your personal brand should do.
Here’s a snippet from the article, “Build your Brand Now, Get Hired Later”, which I love:
“It’s getting tougher for recent graduates to find jobs where they can use their degree. According to research by the Center for Labor Market Studies at Northeastern University in Boston, 36% of college-educated workers under the age of 25 have jobs that don’t require a degree, up from 27.4% in 2007.”
So what can us girls do to stand out and snag our dream jobs + careers that we’re spending countless hours and coins for? Well, “it’s all about personal branding or the art of cultivating a professional Web presence that shows the world what you have to offer. You need to define your own niche, positioning yourself as an expert on a topic for a specific audience,” says Dan Schawbel, author of Promote Yourself: The New Rules for Career Success. I don’t know about you but I’m not trying to graduate with two degrees just to end up working at the Burger King drive thru.
And this my friend, is where personal branding comes in. Your personal brand will level you TF up. Go from a Michelle to Beyoncé real quick. Personal branding matters. I cannot stress this enough. It’s always been a thing, but nowadays it’s even more popping than before with the new wave of technology, social media, and just web based content altogether.
Now, how does focusing on your personal brand benefit you? Well let me spit some facts. Identifying your personal brand allows you to:
- lay your foundation
- get a better understanding of who you are and what you want
- start your side hustle and begin making them extra coins
- allow you to be ahead of your competition
- help you land your dream job or internship
- create better/higher quality experiences in all aspects of life (everything is tied together!)
- build an online community
- grow your professional network
- put yourself out there in the online and digital space
- start a blog and/or business
- become a brand ambassador or influencer
- find a better and higher paying job
- earn more clients for business or readers for your blog
- establishes credibility and seen as an authority
But most importantly, it will make you STAND OUT so much more if your brand is identified because there are so many college girls out there right now whose brands aren’t identified.
What I love about personal branding is that everybody has one. You do, your grandma does, the homeless man on the corner does, your college professor….you get my point. Personal branding is the foundation for everything. I don’t care if you want to start a business, a blog, connect with more people, land your dream internship – you must have your personal brand discovered before you start anything.
So what the heck is personal branding? Well, here is my version: it’s basically how others see you. It’s the public’s perception of you based on the things you do, say, tweet, wear, think, and believe. It’s taking your talents, personality, passions, characteristics, and values and then crafting it into this custom package so that you can make yourself marketable. But it doesn’t just start and end with identifying your personal brand, you must implement and continuously elevate your brand as well.
This is a quote from Shark Tank’s very own Lori Greiner who is, in case you didn’t know, worth $50 Million…..so I’m pretty sure she has a valid point and knows a little something something on the value of a strong personal brand. Let me tell you something girl, you cannot train a bomb personality, but you can train someone on how to run the copy machine or whatever other tasks the job entails.
I want to cut the BULLSHIT – pardon my french – and say that investing in yourself does not have a starting age. It’s when you decide and get your mindset in formation, okay? Building your brand, investing in yourself, buying a car, starting a business, etc. does not have to start when your 25, 26, 27, 28…it can start right now! Personal branding has allowed me to do soooo many things at 19, 20, 21 that I never would’ve dreamt or thought would happen! Here’s a list of things I’ve been able to accomplish:
- started 3 business that bring in $$$
- within my design business, I profited $17,000 after being open for only 9 months
- built and branded a blog that reaches 2,250+ views a month w/ visitors from the US, Canada, the UK, and Africa
- got accepted into one of the most rigorous entrepreneurship programs in the country (I still can’t even believe it)
- bought my own car in FULL & in CASH
- landed a dream internship
- bought my own apartment and paid for all of the furniture
- attended conferences across the country
- hired a business + brand coach
- flew and met my mentor, the lady who started it all – in person after a year of learning from her online – who is on her way to becoming a self-made MILLIONAIRE.
- had internship offers AND mentors thrown at me….without me having to beg for them
- worked with women I’ve admired…yes, I collaborated with my girl crushes within my industry (Maya Elious– check her out, y’all!)
- I have women I admire within my field who admire me as well
- made the right connections to help me move forward in my desired field/industry
- been able to purchase other high level courses to help me learn and grow
- purchased FLOOR SEATS TO BEYONCÉ – so close I could feel her breathing
With all of that being said, I wanted to create a something for all of my boss a$$ ladies out there. For those who don’t know what a personal brand is or what it all encompasses. Because let’s be 100, if you google personal branding right now you’ll get:
Old stuff, boring stuff, and stuff that isn’t related to the college millennial woman…it’s seems to be geared towards people who’ve already established their careers. Which isn’t us #cantrelate. You don’t want to focus on your personal brand after college because it’s a little too late (not the end of the world though) however, when you establish this thing called personal branding while in college, you allow and open up more and better experiences and opportunities!
Sooooo, since I love women empowerment, tech, design, and sharing knowledge….I decided to do something wild and crazy. I designed TWO courses for you all about personal branding.
One is a FREE 5 day email course called: Slay Your Brand Identity. It starts whenever you sign up, all you have to do is type in your name and email address, go to your inbox and confirm your subscription, and you’ll get the “Welcome Email” right away. Then over the next five days you’ll receive each assignment and lesson at 10:15AM CT.
After taking this FREE course, you will:
>>> have an understanding on what personal branding is and why it’s important
>>> establish and choose your brand’s top key words
>>> find out how the world perceives you and see if it matches your perception
>>> figure out your sweet spot and how you can use it in your personal brand
>>> develop a unique elevator pitch and personal branding statement so you can wow the hell out of whoever you connect with
>>> birth your brand’s colors so you can start adding them to your social media channels
>>> get an inside look on how my life has turned upside down (for the better) after I started investing and identifying my personal brand
>>> $25 off of the full intensive course when you sign up BEFORE 02/07
Want to read more about my courses and what all the girls had to say? Check out slayworthybrands.co – no really, the site is pretty fantastic if I do say so myself 😉
I am hoping this post made you at least consider why identifying your personal brand is kind of a big deal and not just a fun trend. Don’t worry, I aspire to be the go-to guide and resource for the ambitious and ass shaking girls who want to get their brands into shape.
See you in the next post, xoxo!